INSIGHTS THIS MONTH
HIGHLIGHT OF THIS MONTH
Challenging Times Ahead? What Lenders and Other Creditors Need to Know About Myanmar’s New Insolvency System
The Corona Pandemic hits Myanmar nearly at the same time as the new Insolvency Law 2020 (“the IL” was enacted on 14 February 2020). We all hope that the...
IN THIS ISSUE
CBM publishes new basic rules for NBFIs
[From our Banking & Finance Team]
On 9 July 2020, the Central Bank of Myanmar (“CBM”) published Instruction no. 3/2020 (the “Instruction”), introducing new principles for regulating the non-bank financial...
New Legislation Set to Remove Multi-Level Marketing Ban
[From our Regulatory Team]
The use of a Multi-level Marketing (“MLM”) business model has been banned since 2018 by way of Notification 46/2018, dated 18 September 2018, issued...
Myanmar Solar Tender 2020: What Should Hopeful Bidders Watch Out For?
[From our Energy and Infrastructure Team]
The tender launched in May by the Electric Power Generation Enterprise (“EPGE”) for 30 sites totaling 1,060MW in Myanmar made quite a splash and was even subject to an unsuccessful claim by the newly...
The Draft Union Tax Law 2020 and Key Takeaways From Recent Changes in Tax Regulations
[From our Taxation Team]
The past few months have been an interesting phase for taxpayers in Myanmar due to the tax reliefs granted under the COVID-19 Economic Relief...
Is COVID-19 a force majeure event in Myanmar construction contracts and power purchase agreements?
[From our Energy and Infrastructure Team]
As with all sectors of the economy, the infrastructure sector in Myanmar will likely be significantly impacted by the current COVID-19 outbreak. Although there...
RECENT VDB LOI WORK
Seamless services on large projects: In addition to legal counsel, VDB Loi is providing comprehensive tax structuring and planning advice to a consortium on a reservoir hydropower project in northern Myanmar.
VDB Loi’s Tax team trusted by multinationals and local companies alike: The Tax team has been engaged by a variety of companies, including a major towerco and a global luxury spirit and wine purveyor, for tax compliance work.
Expertise with large-scale infrastructure projects: VDB Loi is assisting a Chinese construction company on the acquisition of 15 sites for the development of infrastructure projects around the country.
Customs services: VDB Loi is advising a global multi-level marketing company with regard to customs valuation issues on their imports into Myanmar.
Tax ruling: VDB Loi has been engaged by a major towerco to obtain a ruling from the Internal Revenue Department regarding taxation on turnkey services.
VDB LOI NEWS
VDB Loi Cambodia Clinches Historic Tax Ruling
Loss carry-forward for corporate income tax purposes is challenging in Cambodia, as various restrictions and limitations are imposed. For example, companies that undergo a “change in shareholder” are not...
- Myanmar: Major Changes in the Union Tax Law 2023 (VDB Loi Insights)
- Clean Energy Transition is Additional Drive for Regional Power Trades in South and South East Asia (VDB Loi Insights)
- Maximizing Benefits from Investment Incentives (VDB Loi Insights)
- Is Land Acquisition the Real Reason Behind the Unbearable Delay of Solar Projects? (VDB Loi Insights)
- VDB Loi Hosts Major Seminar on Renewable Energy in Cambodia (VDB Loi Insights)
- New Opportunities for Renewable Energy and Grid Reinforcement in Cambodia (VDB Loi Insights)
- Foreign Construction Contractor in Vietnam: Local Compliance Framework (VDB Loi Insights)
- Setting Up Or Acquiring Manufacturing Business In Vietnam
- Pathway to an Independent Power Project in Vietnam
- Foreign loans for Vietnamese borrowers – Q&A
- Green Finance in Southeast Asia
- How Does Bangladesh’s Blockchain Strategy Look Like?
- VDB Loi Cambodia Wins IFLR Asia-Pacific National Law Firm of the Year Award
- Will Income From Cryptocurrency Be Taxed In Vietnam? (VDB Loi Insights)
- The New Laws on Investment and Public-private Partnership: Setting the Foundation for Advanced Private Investment Landscape in Cambodia
- Bangladesh Project Finance Update: Some New Developments and Practices on the Local Aspects of Cross-border Financing in Bangladesh
- Update on Investment Licensing in Bangladesh: New BIDA Practices
- Intra Group Services – Are Cambodian Taxpayers Waving a Red Flag to the GDT? Part One
- VDB Loi Cambodia Awarded Cambodia Tax Firm of the Year
- New Regulation in Cambodia on Road Transportation Services Provided With the Use of Digital Technologies
- Tax Amnesty on Undisclosed Income at Reduced Tax Rates
- M&A Hot Issues
- Phnom Penh Lockdown: Who Remains Open? Which Authorities Still Work?
- Annual Audit of Personal Income Tax in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (VDB Loi Insights)
- New Tax Rules in Laos, Solar Bids in Cambodia, Expat Labor Rules Myanmar
- What Is Different About Cambodia’s New Solar Project Tender? (VDB Loi Insights)
- Laos: Key Changes to Secured Transactions
- New Rules Issued for Unsolicited Projects in Myanmar
- VDB Loi Celebrates Outstanding Asialaw Rankings (VDB Loi Insights
- VDB Loi Crowned Tax Firm Of The Year For Third Time At The 2020 ITR Tax Awards
- Challenging Times Ahead? What Lenders and Other Creditors Need to Know About Myanmar’s New Insolvency System
- Loan Transactions In Southeast Asia: Getting Through The Challenging Times
- How To Win at Myanmar’s Solar Tender, Part of COVID-19 Stimulus Package?
- Do Employees Have the Right to Work Remotely? Questions on Labor Law Facing the Corona Virus Outbreak
- Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos Facing the Pandemic Challenge
- Project Bank (finally) published
- Myanmar Approved FDI for 2019 in Power Sector: All Projects Selected VDB Loi as Advisor
- The Impact of the 2019 Construction Law on Property Development in Cambodia
- Can you sue a dissolved company? (VDB Loi Insights)
- Myanmar Arbitration Update
- Myanmar Passes New Law for Land Acquisition, Resettlement and Rehabilitation
- How to Create a Tidal Wave of Foreign Investment in Electricity and Infrastructure? By These 5 Steps. (VDB Loi Insights)
- Power Surge at MOEE
- Myanmar About to Launch Power Barge Tender
- VDB Loi Insights
- VDB Loi Wins Law Firm of the Year