INSIGHTS THIS MONTH
HIGHLIGHT OF THIS MONTH
Major Changes in the Union Tax Law 2023
The Union Tax Law 2023 (the “UTL 2023”) was enacted on 30 March 2023 by the State Administration Council. The UTL 2023 applies to financial year (“FY”) 2023-2024 starting...
IN THIS ISSUE
New Requirements for the First Annual Return of a Newly-incorporated Company
[From our Myanmar Office]
Per Section 97 of the 2017 Myanmar Companies Law, companies must file their first annual return (“AR”) with the Directorate of Investment and Company...
Streamlined Process for Business Mergers Introduced in Cambodia’s New Sub-decree
[From our Cambodia Office]
On 6 March 2023, the Royal Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia issued a Sub-Decree on the Requirements and Procedures for Business Combinations (the...
Circular No. 11 dated 25 April 2023 issued by the Banking Regulation and Policy Department of the Bangladesh Bank on the “Establishment of the Export Facilitation Pre-finance Fund (“EFPF”)”
[From our Bangladesh Office]
Bangladesh Bank stated that it has found that some companies, individuals, and firms that secured loans under the EDF against shipment orders but failed...
Circular No. 04 dated 13 April 2023 issued by the Foreign Exchange Investment Department of the Bangladesh Bank on “Placement of Funds from Offshore Banking Operations (“OBOs”) with Domestic Banking Units (“DBUs”)”
[From our Bangladesh Office]
OBOs are allowed to place funds with their DBUs in an amount up to 25% of the total regulatory capital of the bank to...
Circular No. 07 dated 13 April 2023 issued by the Foreign Exchange Policy Department of the Bangladesh Bank on “Interest Rates on Borrowings from the Export Development Fund (“EDF”)”
[From our Bangladesh Office]
EDF loans from the Bangladesh Bank are repayable by authorized dealer (AD) banks within 180 days from the date of disbursement, which can be...
OUR UPCOMING EVENTS
Customs and Tax Compliance for Import and Distribution
19 May 2023, Phnom Penh
RECENT VDB LOI WORK
TMT shareholder loan in Vietnam: VDB Loi Vietnam is providing full-scale transactional support on a shareholder loan transaction for a global developer and operator of games for mobile and social platforms.
HR market entry in Bangladesh: The Bangladesh team advised on market entry and employment compliance for a regional HR software development company.
Solar power project in Myanmar: The Myanmar team was engaged to conduct due diligence, provide legal advice, and assist with project agreements and corporate filings for a 380MW solar power project.
Electricity project transaction in Laos: VDB Loi Laos is advising a global power asset investing company on one of the largest project transactions for the sale and export of electric power.
Groundbreaking bond issuance: The Cambodia team advised on a groundbreaking foreign bond issuance by a banking institution from Cambodia.
- Myanmar: Major Changes in the Union Tax Law 2023 (VDB Loi Insights)
- Clean Energy Transition is Additional Drive for Regional Power Trades in South and South East Asia (VDB Loi Insights)
- Maximizing Benefits from Investment Incentives (VDB Loi Insights)
- Is Land Acquisition the Real Reason Behind the Unbearable Delay of Solar Projects? (VDB Loi Insights)
- VDB Loi Hosts Major Seminar on Renewable Energy in Cambodia (VDB Loi Insights)
- New Opportunities for Renewable Energy and Grid Reinforcement in Cambodia (VDB Loi Insights)
- Foreign Construction Contractor in Vietnam: Local Compliance Framework (VDB Loi Insights)
- Setting Up Or Acquiring Manufacturing Business In Vietnam
- Pathway to an Independent Power Project in Vietnam
- Foreign loans for Vietnamese borrowers – Q&A
- Green Finance in Southeast Asia
- How Does Bangladesh’s Blockchain Strategy Look Like?
- VDB Loi Cambodia Wins IFLR Asia-Pacific National Law Firm of the Year Award
- Will Income From Cryptocurrency Be Taxed In Vietnam? (VDB Loi Insights)
- The New Laws on Investment and Public-private Partnership: Setting the Foundation for Advanced Private Investment Landscape in Cambodia
- Bangladesh Project Finance Update: Some New Developments and Practices on the Local Aspects of Cross-border Financing in Bangladesh
- Update on Investment Licensing in Bangladesh: New BIDA Practices
- Intra Group Services – Are Cambodian Taxpayers Waving a Red Flag to the GDT? Part One
- VDB Loi Cambodia Awarded Cambodia Tax Firm of the Year
- New Regulation in Cambodia on Road Transportation Services Provided With the Use of Digital Technologies
- Tax Amnesty on Undisclosed Income at Reduced Tax Rates
- M&A Hot Issues
- Phnom Penh Lockdown: Who Remains Open? Which Authorities Still Work?
- Annual Audit of Personal Income Tax in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (VDB Loi Insights)
- New Tax Rules in Laos, Solar Bids in Cambodia, Expat Labor Rules Myanmar
- What Is Different About Cambodia’s New Solar Project Tender? (VDB Loi Insights)
- Laos: Key Changes to Secured Transactions
- New Rules Issued for Unsolicited Projects in Myanmar
- VDB Loi Celebrates Outstanding Asialaw Rankings (VDB Loi Insights
- VDB Loi Crowned Tax Firm Of The Year For Third Time At The 2020 ITR Tax Awards
- Challenging Times Ahead? What Lenders and Other Creditors Need to Know About Myanmar’s New Insolvency System
- Loan Transactions In Southeast Asia: Getting Through The Challenging Times
- How To Win at Myanmar’s Solar Tender, Part of COVID-19 Stimulus Package?
- Do Employees Have the Right to Work Remotely? Questions on Labor Law Facing the Corona Virus Outbreak
- Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos Facing the Pandemic Challenge
- Project Bank (finally) published
- Myanmar Approved FDI for 2019 in Power Sector: All Projects Selected VDB Loi as Advisor
- The Impact of the 2019 Construction Law on Property Development in Cambodia
- Can you sue a dissolved company? (VDB Loi Insights)
- Myanmar Arbitration Update
- Myanmar Passes New Law for Land Acquisition, Resettlement and Rehabilitation
- How to Create a Tidal Wave of Foreign Investment in Electricity and Infrastructure? By These 5 Steps. (VDB Loi Insights)
- Power Surge at MOEE
- Myanmar About to Launch Power Barge Tender
- VDB Loi Insights
- VDB Loi Wins Law Firm of the Year