INSIGHTS THIS MONTH
HIGHLIGHT OF THIS MONTH
VDB Loi Myanmar Wins the 2019 IFLR Most Innovative National Firm of the Year Award
Yangon, Myanmar (March 2019) – International Financial Law Review (IFLR) has announced the winners of the annual IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards. VDB Loi received the Most Innovative National Firm (Myanmar)...
IN THIS ISSUE
10 Frequently Asked Questions About the Myanmar Trademark Law 2019
[From our Telecommunication, Media and Technology Team]
Highlights of this note What kind of mark is registrable? Does the trademark law adopt a “first-to-file” or “first-to-use” system? Can I claim priority...
Second chance to re-register your company before being struck off the registry
[From our Regulatory Team]
According to the recent Directorate of Investment and Company Administration (“DICA”) announcement issued on 8th March 2019, companies who missed the 31 January deadline now...
Enactment of Specific Goods Tax regulations: more compliance requirements for producers?
[From our Taxation Team]
Although the Specific Goods Tax Law (“SGT Law”) which imposes Specific Goods Tax (“SGT”) on certain goods in Myanmar was enacted back in January...
Cambodia Tax Alert: Additional Incentive for Qualified Investment Project
[From our Cambodia Office]
As seen recently, the Royal Government of Cambodia (“RGC”) has been making a number of improvements in the investment regime in order to attract...
Cambodia Legal Alert: Deadline Fast Approaching for Work Permit Renewals
[From our Cambodia Office]
As you may be aware, according to the applicable regulations, employers of foreign employees are required to ensure that they obtain a work permit...
OUR UPCOMING EVENTS
Myanmar: Year-end Tax Workshop
9 March 2019, Yangon
Chin State Investment and Product Fair
16 March 2019, Yangon
CLMV (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam) Projects and Finance Update
19 June 2019, Tokyo
RECENT VDB LOI WORK
VDB Loi was chosen by a leading travel and tour company to assist with its legal and tax compliance in preparation for an incoming offshore investment.
The Banking and Finance Team worked on a project related to the preparation of a template loan document for the issuance of subordinated debt. This follows a very recent issuance of a new CBM Subordinated Debt Directive No. (3/2019) dated 24 January 2019, which provides for detailed requirements for subordinated debt that can be included into supplementary capital or Tier 2 capital of a Myanmar bank.
Our firm’s expert tax consultants were chosen by one of Myanmar’s largest public companies this month. The team provided a review of the company’s accounting systems, compliance and tax obligations, as well as advice on restructuring.
Our Banking and Finance team continued to support the local microfinance industry in February, assisting with loans from two of Myanmar’s largest banks and several other offshore loans from development banks.
NEW MYANMAR LAWS AND REGULATIONS THIS MONTH
Newly enacted for the protection of Patents rights
Upgrading the old law of Protection and preservation of Cultural Heritage regions law and repealed the old law enacted in 1998
Newly enacted and replaced the old one of 2014
Newly enacted for the safety and the good health condition on different employment sectors
VDB LOI NEWS
VDB Loi’s support for Chin State investment
VDB Loi co-organized the Chin State Investment Forum this month at the Myanmar Convention Center in Yangon. Myanmar’s Vice President U Myint Swe opened the event, and was joined...
- Maximizing Benefits from Investment Incentives (VDB Loi Insights)
- Is Land Acquisition the Real Reason Behind the Unbearable Delay of Solar Projects? (VDB Loi Insights)
- VDB Loi Hosts Major Seminar on Renewable Energy in Cambodia (VDB Loi Insights)
- New Opportunities for Renewable Energy and Grid Reinforcement in Cambodia (VDB Loi Insights)
- Foreign Construction Contractor in Vietnam: Local Compliance Framework (VDB Loi Insights)
- Setting Up Or Acquiring Manufacturing Business In Vietnam
- Pathway to an Independent Power Project in Vietnam
- Foreign loans for Vietnamese borrowers – Q&A
- Green Finance in Southeast Asia
- How Does Bangladesh’s Blockchain Strategy Look Like?
- VDB Loi Cambodia Wins IFLR Asia-Pacific National Law Firm of the Year Award
- Will Income From Cryptocurrency Be Taxed In Vietnam? (VDB Loi Insights)
- The New Laws on Investment and Public-private Partnership: Setting the Foundation for Advanced Private Investment Landscape in Cambodia
- Bangladesh Project Finance Update: Some New Developments and Practices on the Local Aspects of Cross-border Financing in Bangladesh
- Update on Investment Licensing in Bangladesh: New BIDA Practices
- Intra Group Services – Are Cambodian Taxpayers Waving a Red Flag to the GDT? Part One
- VDB Loi Cambodia Awarded Cambodia Tax Firm of the Year
- New Regulation in Cambodia on Road Transportation Services Provided With the Use of Digital Technologies
- Tax Amnesty on Undisclosed Income at Reduced Tax Rates
- M&A Hot Issues
- Phnom Penh Lockdown: Who Remains Open? Which Authorities Still Work?
- Annual Audit of Personal Income Tax in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (VDB Loi Insights)
- New Tax Rules in Laos, Solar Bids in Cambodia, Expat Labor Rules Myanmar
- What Is Different About Cambodia’s New Solar Project Tender? (VDB Loi Insights)
- Laos: Key Changes to Secured Transactions
- New Rules Issued for Unsolicited Projects in Myanmar
- VDB Loi Celebrates Outstanding Asialaw Rankings (VDB Loi Insights
- VDB Loi Crowned Tax Firm Of The Year For Third Time At The 2020 ITR Tax Awards
- Challenging Times Ahead? What Lenders and Other Creditors Need to Know About Myanmar’s New Insolvency System
- Loan Transactions In Southeast Asia: Getting Through The Challenging Times
- How To Win at Myanmar’s Solar Tender, Part of COVID-19 Stimulus Package?
- Do Employees Have the Right to Work Remotely? Questions on Labor Law Facing the Corona Virus Outbreak
- Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos Facing the Pandemic Challenge
- Project Bank (finally) published
- Myanmar Approved FDI for 2019 in Power Sector: All Projects Selected VDB Loi as Advisor
- The Impact of the 2019 Construction Law on Property Development in Cambodia
- Can you sue a dissolved company? (VDB Loi Insights)
- Myanmar Arbitration Update
- Myanmar Passes New Law for Land Acquisition, Resettlement and Rehabilitation
- How to Create a Tidal Wave of Foreign Investment in Electricity and Infrastructure? By These 5 Steps. (VDB Loi Insights)
- Power Surge at MOEE
- Myanmar About to Launch Power Barge Tender
- VDB Loi Insights
- VDB Loi Wins Law Firm of the Year