INSIGHTS THIS MONTH
HIGHLIGHT OF THIS MONTH
How to Create a Tidal Wave of Foreign Investment in Electricity and Infrastructure? By These 5 Steps.
Not much works without electricity, and not much moves without roads, ports and railways to move it on. Infrastructure, including electricity, is the obvious key to unlocking the huge...
IN THIS ISSUE
Client Alert: Double Taxation Agreement with Hong Kong
[From our Cambodia office]
In June 2019, the Royal Government of Cambodia announced that a double taxation agreement (“DTA”) was signed with the Government of Hong Kong Special...
Cambodia Legal Update: Seniority Payments – New Regulations Bring Some Things into Clearer Focus
[From our Cambodia Office]
As you may be aware, the Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training (“MLVT”) has issued several regulations since its introduction of an employee seniority...
Client Alert: GDT tightens the definition of zero-rated VAT export services
[From our Cambodia Office]
When applying Value Added Tax (“VAT”), a key consideration is the place of delivery of the goods or services, which is often determined by...
Client Alert: Immediate Enforcement of Capital Requirements for Foreign-invested Trading Companies
[From our Laos Office]
On 25 June 2019, The Ministry of Industry and Commerce issued Notice No. 0764/ERMD.IC (the “Notice”) instructing its provincial and Vientiane Capital divisions to...
Enforcement against illegal foreign businesses in the Lao PDR
[From our Laos Office]
On 12 June 2019, the Division of Industry and Commerce, Vientiane (“DIC-Vte”) issued Instruction No. 0651 (the “Instruction”) regarding measures to be taken against...
OUR UPCOMING EVENTS
CLMV (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam) Projects and Finance Update
5 August 2019, Singapore
- Deal roundup
- Due diligence case studies
- Deal structuring
- Local approvals and government guarantees
- Security package and debt enforcement
RECENT VDB LOI WORK
Power barge tender: The Energy Team is advising on the tender for a power barge rental project.
Infrastructure financing: VDB Loi is advising a Chinese multinational banking company on its financing of a port terminal project.
TMT financing: VDB Loi is assisting a major Myanmar tower company on the financing of tower acquisitions and construction.
Tax structure optimization: A regional design company has engaged our experts to advise on tax structuring options for a new and complex services project.
Labor compliance: The Regulatory team is assisting on employment contract matters for a global insurance company.
Land for power project: VDB Loi’s special land acquisition team has started work on the process for land procurement for a large electric power project.
NEW MYANMAR LAWS AND REGULATIONS THIS MONTH
Child Rights Law 2019 (Law No: 22/ 2019)
(23 July 2019)
Newly enacted for the protection of child rights and repealed the old one of 1993
VDB LOI NEWS
VDB Loi joins IPFA and Willis Towers Watson Event Panel
On 10 July 2019, IPFA hosted an event in partnership with Willis Towers Watson titled “Yangon – A New Era for Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) in Myanmar – Opportunities, Associated...
- Maximizing Benefits from Investment Incentives (VDB Loi Insights)
- Is Land Acquisition the Real Reason Behind the Unbearable Delay of Solar Projects? (VDB Loi Insights)
- VDB Loi Hosts Major Seminar on Renewable Energy in Cambodia (VDB Loi Insights)
- New Opportunities for Renewable Energy and Grid Reinforcement in Cambodia (VDB Loi Insights)
- Foreign Construction Contractor in Vietnam: Local Compliance Framework (VDB Loi Insights)
- Setting Up Or Acquiring Manufacturing Business In Vietnam
- Pathway to an Independent Power Project in Vietnam
- Foreign loans for Vietnamese borrowers – Q&A
- Green Finance in Southeast Asia
- How Does Bangladesh’s Blockchain Strategy Look Like?
- VDB Loi Cambodia Wins IFLR Asia-Pacific National Law Firm of the Year Award
- Will Income From Cryptocurrency Be Taxed In Vietnam? (VDB Loi Insights)
- The New Laws on Investment and Public-private Partnership: Setting the Foundation for Advanced Private Investment Landscape in Cambodia
- Bangladesh Project Finance Update: Some New Developments and Practices on the Local Aspects of Cross-border Financing in Bangladesh
- Update on Investment Licensing in Bangladesh: New BIDA Practices
- Intra Group Services – Are Cambodian Taxpayers Waving a Red Flag to the GDT? Part One
- VDB Loi Cambodia Awarded Cambodia Tax Firm of the Year
- New Regulation in Cambodia on Road Transportation Services Provided With the Use of Digital Technologies
- Tax Amnesty on Undisclosed Income at Reduced Tax Rates
- M&A Hot Issues
- Phnom Penh Lockdown: Who Remains Open? Which Authorities Still Work?
- Annual Audit of Personal Income Tax in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (VDB Loi Insights)
- New Tax Rules in Laos, Solar Bids in Cambodia, Expat Labor Rules Myanmar
- What Is Different About Cambodia’s New Solar Project Tender? (VDB Loi Insights)
- Laos: Key Changes to Secured Transactions
- New Rules Issued for Unsolicited Projects in Myanmar
- VDB Loi Celebrates Outstanding Asialaw Rankings (VDB Loi Insights
- VDB Loi Crowned Tax Firm Of The Year For Third Time At The 2020 ITR Tax Awards
- Challenging Times Ahead? What Lenders and Other Creditors Need to Know About Myanmar’s New Insolvency System
- Loan Transactions In Southeast Asia: Getting Through The Challenging Times
- How To Win at Myanmar’s Solar Tender, Part of COVID-19 Stimulus Package?
- Do Employees Have the Right to Work Remotely? Questions on Labor Law Facing the Corona Virus Outbreak
- Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos Facing the Pandemic Challenge
- Project Bank (finally) published
- Myanmar Approved FDI for 2019 in Power Sector: All Projects Selected VDB Loi as Advisor
- The Impact of the 2019 Construction Law on Property Development in Cambodia
- Can you sue a dissolved company? (VDB Loi Insights)
- Myanmar Arbitration Update
- Myanmar Passes New Law for Land Acquisition, Resettlement and Rehabilitation
- How to Create a Tidal Wave of Foreign Investment in Electricity and Infrastructure? By These 5 Steps. (VDB Loi Insights)
- Power Surge at MOEE
- Myanmar About to Launch Power Barge Tender
- VDB Loi Insights
- VDB Loi Wins Law Firm of the Year