Tax Notes: The 2% Withholding Tax abolished!June 20, 2018
The Ministry of Planning and Finance has enacted a new Withholding Tax (“WHT”) Notification 47/2018 (“Notification 47”) on 18 June 2018 which is effective from 1 July 2018. The Notification 47 abolishes 2% WHT for payments to resident citizens and resident foreigners for services rendered, goods purchases and lease payments within Myanmar.
Government organization, ministry and state-owned enterprise are excluded and 2%WHT is still applicable. Accordingly, government organizations, ministries and state-owned enterprises will continue to deduct 2% WHT when making payments to resident citizens and foreigners.
Furthermore, the minimum threshold for deductions of WHT has been changed to MMK 1 million for total payments within a year period. If payments exceed the threshold, companies are required to deduct WHT. We note that there is no threshold for payments made to non-residents.
The Notification 47 still imposes legal obligations on the payer to deduct WHT for payments subject to WHT.
- Domestic Payments to Be Made in Myanmar Kyat
- June 7, 2022
- How to Apply for a Certificate of Residence from the Internal Revenue Department of Myanmar?
- April 29, 2022
- Importers/Exporters can request approval to buy USD through the Ministry of Commerce
- April 20, 2022
- Have You Calculated the Personal Income Tax Reliefs and Allowances Correctly for the 2021-2022 Six-month Interim Budget Year?
- March 31, 2022
- Trade Department Adds to the List of Goods Requiring an Import /Export License
- March 30, 2022