Private education opens to 100% foreign investmentApril 30, 2018
The Myanmar Investment Commission recently issued a notification (Notification 7/2018) on investment in the education sector.
The notification defines private schools as those that are not operated by the state. Most private schools in Myanmar are presently associations (business associations that are not for profit). This notification allows foreign direct investments through subsidiaries in Myanmar who may open new private schools and provide quality international curricula.
Types of private schools include basic education, technical, vocational & training, higher education, subject-based as well as other schools designated by the ministry. Private schools must still comply with the Myanmar Investment Law and Rules, as well as the National Education Law (2014).
A new education law (2014) is currently being drafted and will include more details on school compliance and registration. Read more about this here.
- Foreign companies are added to the exemption list of mandatory forex conversion
- February 28, 2023
- Importers/Exporters can request approval to buy USD through the Ministry of Commerce
- April 20, 2022
- Trade Department Adds to the List of Goods Requiring an Import /Export License
- March 30, 2022
- Amended Union Tax Law 2021 increases the commercial tax rate on internet services and expands the income range of undisclosed source of income
- February 14, 2022
- The Amended Electronic Transaction Law Focuses on Use of Personal Data, Fake News, and Cyberattacks
- February 25, 2021