Celebrating Thingyan and Reflecting on a Successful Year With VDB LoiMay 7, 2019
With the recent celebration of our seventh anniversary as well as the upcoming Thingyan Festival in Myanmar, we at VDB Loi would like to thank you for your continued support. We are very pleased to share with you some of VDB Loi’s best moments and achievements over the past year. We are delighted to report that the team’s efforts have again been recognized by the leading international legal and tax industry publications, based on interviews with clients and peers. These include the following:
IFLR 2019 Asia-Pacific Awards
VDB Loi won the prestigious Most Innovative National Firm of the Year award for Myanmar at the International Financial Law Review (“IFLR”) 2019 Asia-Pacific Awards ceremony, held in Hong Kong on 7 March 2019. This award recognizes VDB Loi’s work on a number of significant international deals, including one of the largest M&A projects in the country in the telecom sector and several financings provided to Myanmar borrowers by international development institutions and commercial banks.
In addition, VDB Loi Myanmar has been named:
- a 2019 Asialaw Profiles Outstanding Firm, and highly ranked in all industry sectors, with Jean Loi recognized as a Leading Lawyer for Tax and Edwin Vanderbruggen as a Market-leading Lawyer for Regulatory and Tax
- a Chambers and Partners ranked firm, with Edwin Vanderbruggen named as a Band 1 lawyer for Myanmar
- a Legal 500 ranked firm and Edwin Vanderbruggen named a Ranking 1 Leading Individual for Corporate and M&A
- an IFLR1000 Tier 1 firm for project development, and Jean Loi and Edwin Vanderbruggen named as Highly Regarded individuals
VDB Loi has been recognized for its expertise in other jurisdictions, including in Laos, which received a Legal 500 top-tier firm ranking, and in Cambodia, which was ranked by IFLR1000 as a Tier 1 firm for project development.
Getting The Deal Through: Project Finance in Southeast Asia
As a leader in the region, VDB Loi has been featured in Market Intelligence’s 2019 edition on Project Finance in Southeast Asia, focusing on Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Vietnam. To read more about this, click here or here.
In addition to the above-mentioned accolades, VDB Loi also played a key role in some important developments in the country:
2019 Myanmar Insurance Market Liberalization for Foreign Investment
VDB Loi Myanmar assisted a leading international insurance group with its successful selection as one of the few preferred foreign applicants to be awarded a license to conduct a life insurance business in Myanmar. To read more about this, click here.
Chin State Investment and Product Fair
VDB Loi is a proud sponsor of the Chin State Investment and Product Fair that took place on 16 and 17 March 2019. To read more about the event’s aims of boosting the Chin State economy, click here.
We would like to extend our thanks to all who have contributed to our many successes and take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy Thingyan Festival and a very prosperous Burmese New Year!
- The long-anticipated Trademark Law becomes effective on 1 April 2023
- March 17, 2023
- Foreign companies are added to the exemption list of mandatory forex conversion
- February 28, 2023
- Newly Enacted Law on Registration of Association
- November 10, 2022
- All Border Trade Transactions Will Be Allowed Only via Banking System Starting From 1st November 2022
- November 4, 2022
- Myanmar: FATF’s Call for Action to Apply Enhanced Due Diligence Measures
- October 27, 2022