An Increasing Number of Goods Are Now Subject to Import LicensingNovember 26, 2021
Notably, 3,070 types of goods have been added back to the list of goods requiring import licenses as per the new Newsletter no 18/2021 dated 9 November 2021 (“Newsletter 18”) issued by the Ministry of Commerce (“MOC”).
With the purpose of reviving the economy after the significant impact of Covid-19 over the past year and controlling the use of foreign currency as well as strengthening the import and export system, the MOC has added quite a large number of goods to the list of goods that require import licenses under Newsletter 18.
The latest list of goods that require an import license was published in Notification 68/2020 issued by the MOC on 22 October 2020, where 3,931 types of goods were subject to import licensing after a significant amount of types of goods were lifted from the requirement of import licensing to embrace import liberalization measures. Subsequently, Newsletter 18 has added back 3,070 types of goods, meaning that a total of 7,001 types of goods now require import licenses in order to be imported into Myanmar.
The import license requirement of an additional 3,070 types of goods under Newsletter 18 will be effective from 1 January 2022. In the meantime, Notification 68 will still be applied regarding the requirement on import licenses. It is anticipated that more types of goods will be added back onto the list of goods subject to import licensing.
Our team is able to assist with the application for an import license. If you have any questions, please reach out to us.
- The long-anticipated Trademark Law becomes effective on 1 April 2023
- March 17, 2023
- Foreign companies are added to the exemption list of mandatory forex conversion
- February 28, 2023
- Newly Enacted Law on Registration of Association
- November 10, 2022
- All Border Trade Transactions Will Be Allowed Only via Banking System Starting From 1st November 2022
- November 4, 2022
- DICA Tightens the Requirements of Seeking DICA’s Recommendation for the Extension of Foreigners’ Stay Permits, Work Permits and Entry Visas
- September 30, 2022