Port Terminal Development in Myanmar: Key Issues to ConsiderFebruary 24, 2017
Myanmar currently has a number of coastline ports, with Yangon being the main port city in the country, handling about 85% of Myanmar’s import and export volume. Ports also see the development of major processing and manufacturing projects around them and the Government is setting Special Economic Zones (SEZ) along some of them (namely Thilawa, Dawei and Kyaukphyu).
Highlights of this note
- How are international port terminals developed in Myanmar?
- Are there any foreign ownership restrictions?
- What is typically in a port concession agreement?
- Licensing and approval process for a port project
- How can foreign investors acquire a brownfield port terminal project?