How to Create a Tidal Wave of Foreign Investment in Electricity and Infrastructure? By These 5 Steps.
Not much works without electricity, and not much moves without roads, ports and railways to move it on. Infrastructure, including electricity, is the obvious key to unlocking the huge economic potential of Myanmar and the road to prosperity for its people.
Highlights of this note
- We need to improve Myanmar’s reputation by fast-tracking and completing a few smaller deals, right now
- The Government is going to need to assure foreign investors that it will perform its contracts and pay its bills.
- Myanmar should consider using “umbrella notes” to confirm its support for bilateral projects on a Government to Government level
- Maximize private investment by de-risking the projects to a reasonable level.
- The way commercial terms are being negotiated needs to change.