The New Framework for Land Acquisition in Myanmar
The brand new law on the Land Acquisition, Resettlement and Rehabilitation is poised to drastically reform the way land can be released by the government for public purposes such as infrastructure projects. How has the process been reformed? Which new institutions are created and what do they do? How can project affected persons object, and when? Who has the last word on the compensation paid? In this unique briefing, we do not offer a legal analysis but rather a practical examination of the new rules. Based on our experience assisting land acquisitions and transfers on the ground, how do our experts think their law will impact projects?
- Who determines the compensation and how?
- How is the process supposed to work under the new law?
- When are the public announcements made?
- Who can start a land acquisition process? The government or the company?
- Voluntary transfer of compulsory acquisition: what is best?
- What happens if project affected person refuse the offer?
- Do you need to convert first and acquire second, or the other way around?
- Can the courts get involved under the new law?
- How does the new law compare with the World Bank performance standard No.5?
|8.30am – 9.00am||Registration|
|9.00am – 9.20am||How does the land acquisition process work? Theory v. Practice, 1894 v. 2019.|
– Comparing the process
– How do the agencies involved change?
– What about voluntary transfers?
|9.20am – 9.50am||Hot issues in Myanmar Land acquisition compared to past|
– Who is eligible for compensation? Does Myanmar Law have the same standards as PS5?
– Who determines the compensation?
– Calculating the compensation: comparing Myanmar Law with international standards
– When should the cut-off date be? Differences between Myanmar Law and PS5?
– Compensation in the form of other land: compulsory or up to negotiation?
|9.50am – 10.00am||Break|
|10.00am – 10.20am||PS5 and Good International Practices|
Presented by IFC
|10.20am – 11.00am||Case study: Example of how to carry out a land acquisition strategy. (Actual case example)|
|11.00am – 12.00pm||Panel Discussion: Does the new law make Land Acquisition smoother, or more difficult?|
Panelists to be announced…
Assistant Director at the General Administration Department, Ministry of Union Government Office
Shan State Government
Director at Myanmar Center for responsible Business
Co-Founder & Program Director
Public Legal Aid Network (The PLAN)