Customs duties and procedures are challenging when doing business in many emerging countries. With Cambodia and Vietnam having recently joined the WTO, the GATT Agreement will apply to imports in those countries, as it does in Thailand. All the countries in the Mekong region are members of the ASEAN Free Trade Agreement (AFTA), which also results in lower tariffs on certain imports between the members.
Our customs and excise experience includes:
- Advising on the unbundling of goods and software for an international supplier of gaming equipment applicable throughout the region.
- Advising on the relocation of manufacturing phases to maximize tariff reductions under AFTA for a multinational producer of beverages.
- Obtaining customs duty exemptions for the import of equipment for a non-profit organization.
- Structuring of a manufacturing project and Special Economic Zone exemptions for a multinational in the automotive industry in Cambodia.
- Advising on the creation of an Export Zone for a listed power producer in Thailand.
- Assisting a multinational producer of cigarettes in resolving a customs dispute and seizure of goods in Cambodia.
- Advising on rubber export taxes in Vietnam for an international organization.
- Obtaining a change in the excise duty calculation for beverages in Cambodia.
- Advising on customs duty valuation for a manufacturer of tobacco products.