- Myanmar Legal Wire
- Cambodia Business Brief
- Updates & Analysis
In Myanmar, nothing is as it seems. There are significant differences between the theory and the practice when it comes to structuring investment projects, licensing and market entry. In this in-depth presentation, Clifford Chance teams up with Myanmar law firm VDB Loi to prove an on-the-ground perspective. Edwin Vanderbruggen (VDB Loi) goes far beyond general high-level comments. He explains how actual deals work, how the Government really applies the foreign investment rules, and what you can achieve in practice from the authorities. Using real-life deals as illustrations, it is a thorough and rare inside look into this newly opened market.
Setting up a structure for onshore or offshore oil and gas exploration
- 5 misgivings on the tax structure of Myanmar PSCs
- Dispute resolution, clauses on re-introduction of sanctions
- Are financing expenses cost-recoverable and tax deductible?
Development and financing of real estate and infrastructure
- Tax implications of pre-sales and assignment of occupancy rights
- Is the Commercial Tax a cost to the developer?
- Lessons learned from the international airport per-qualifications
Licensing and structuring a gas-fired power generation project
- Impact of the Commercial Tax on the project
- How to devise a profit repatriation strategy?
- Outward remittances of foreign currency
FMCG: Joint venture of a manufacturing and distribution company
- For which activities do I need a joint venture?
- Moving license, assets and land from the local partner to the JVco
- Can I distribute without manufacturing in Myanmar?
- What is the tax impact on your business model?
- Can I have foreign arbitration in the transaction contracts?
Market entry options for a service company
- Can I provide services in Myanmar without opening a presence?
- What is the best option: branch, normal subsidiary or with investment license?
- Assigning staff to Myanmar